“All the interpersonal and the internal things that make an organization work well together, and make a team work, actually produce measurable revenue benefit. Good management and soft skills actually make a measurable impression on donors and in your bank account at the end of the day.”— Marc Pitman
Building a successful nonprofit is about relationships.
The people we hire on our team, and the volunteers we work with, are not cogs in a wheel. They are human beings who bring their humanity to work: their dreams, passions, insecurities, fears, and concerns.
If we want to build a fundraising engine to sustain our mission, we need to start by building a healthy team, including a healthy us. We need to understand ourselves, and those around us.
Because building better relationships with our team has a direct impact on the bottom line.
One tool we can use to understand ourselves and our team is the Enneagram — a personality framework that helps us understand how different people cope with the world, and how they manage their own fears.
On today’s show, Marc Pitman is going to walk us through each of the nine types of the Enneagram. Mark also gets into how understanding the Enneagram can actually help you become a stronger, more empathetic leader. And yes, raise more money.
Mark is a renowned author, an international leadership and fundraising coach. As founder of the Concord Leadership Group, he just released a book called The Surprising Gift of Doubt – How To Use Uncertainty To Become The Exceptional Leader You’re Meant To Be.
Today we’ll cover:
- [3:47] – What the Enneagram is and how it is different from other personality assessments
- [6:40] – Why the Enneagram matters for your organization
- [10:45] – Enneagram Type 1 – The Reformer
- [14:15] – Enneagram Type 2 – The Caregiver or The Pleaser
- [18:00] – Enneagram Type 3 – The Achiever
- [22:02] – Enneagram Type 4 – The Artist or Individualist
- [25:56] – Enneagram Type 5 – The investigator
- [32:51] – Enneagram Type 6 – The Loyalist
- [38:05] – Enneagram Type 7 – The Enthusiast
- [46:18] – Enneagram Type 8 – The Challenger
- [52:02] – Enneagram Type 9 – The Peacemaker
- [56:20] – Marc’s encouragement for nonprofit leaders, fundraisers and marketers